Table of Contents
You watered the plants, cleaned the driveway, or washed the car, and you are done for the day. The only thing that is left to do is to haul the mucky gardening hose into place. Do you hate your garden hose turns into a tangled mess? It can be too time-consuming and difficult to reel it in by hands. By investing on a good Self Retracting Hose Reel can save you more energy and time, enabling you to reel the hose with less effort and mess-free after each use. In addition to that, it will make your garden appear much tidier.
Dragging your garden hose back and forth through mud and puddles is heavy and messy. Moreover, trying to tidily wrap a long garden hose is tiring and if you decide to keep the hose on the garden floor will keep it exposed to elements such as garden pests and pets. Also, picking a slimy hose on a muddy floor is not a pleasant experience.
A Self Retracting Hose Reel is important for serving as a garden hose protector as it will keep it dry, safe, and clean and it will prevent the longer hose from getting punctured or tangled. It can also prevent accidents while keeping the hose in great condition increasing its longevity. The reel uses an internal spring-loaded mechanism that helps to retract the hose and distribute it side by side in the housing without letting it clump together. In this article, we are going to discuss more self-retracting hose reels.
Portable vs. Stationary Garden hose reel
When it comes to a Stationary Garden hose reel, is the simplest type of water hose reel or garden hose and it is included with a crank that manually rewinds the hose onto the reel. These reels are simple in design and are made using materials ranging from stainless steel to plastic which affects the price. On the other hand, the portable Garden hose reel has arched structures and loops the hose over. You can easily move from one place to another and comes with handles that make it easier to wind up the hose for storage.
Automatic Vs. Manual Garden hose reel
Both manual and automatic hose reels are excellent. However, Manual reels are cheap but they are difficult to gather the hose to loop over the reel. Let’s discuss the advantages of each one of them.
Benefits of Automatic Hose Reels
- You do not need to carry them around since you just need to mount them on the wall. With that, you can be able to pull the hose and slide it onto the real with ease. This allows you to water your garden with sheer simplicity and with ease.
- Automatic Hose Reels will retract the hoses with ease this is because it has a sturdy spring and they will operate based on the laying system. With that, your hose will have less chance of developing kinks and knots. Therefore, you can automatically coil up, wind, and rewind your hose. This will minimize the hassle of watering your garden.
- Automatic hose reels are custom-made hose reels. These reels are versatile and usually comes in a plethora of materials and forms. They come in variable sizes making them ideal for all measures of the garden.
Benefits of Manual Hose Reels
- Most Manual hose reels are durable. They can be made in several materials such as steel and Aluminium. This makes them ideal for working on industrial tasks.
- They are perfect for outdoor watering during winter outings, harsh climates, and vacations because you just need to detach and reattach the garden hose.
- You can attach any hose of different sizes and lengths to the manual hose reels. This makes them perfect for a large garden.
- Since the winding is done manually, you can use these hose reels on many water sources and even on rough terrains.
Cleaning and Maintenance
There are several basic maintenance tips that you can follow in order to make sure that your self-retracting hose reel stays for long.
- Make sure that there is no cross-threading whenever you are attaching the hose to the leader hose or faucet. If you do it by accident, then the hose coupling brass thread can cut the plastic water system threads which may result in permanent leakage.
- Frequently check the defective O-rings and make sure that you have the right size of replacements as indicated on the manufacturer’s manual or website. On this, detach the hose real and then remove the shield. After that, install the new O-ring.
- Ensure that you drain out all the water from the reel and hose and store it in a dry place during winter.
- Regularly oil the bushings by coating degreaser on a paper or fabric towel. Spread it over the bushings, knob, shaft, and other hose reel parts. Air dry and seal it before you add a final lubricant coat to make it look and work effectively.
- Before you store the hose real, it is recommended to disassemble the real, clean the pieces and then spray them with a clear coat.
- If you are not able to store it inside, you can remove the real from attachments, nozzles, and faucet and clear all the remaining water.
- Make sure that you store the hose properly and you should never keep it under direct sun sunlight. This is because UV rays can break their lining and this will damage them.
- Make sure that you clean the reel property to prevent rusting.
Ease of Using Self-Retracting Hose Reel
A feeder hose is included in most garden hose real available in the market that allows you to connect the reel to the spigot. The center of the wheel usually spins and will pull up the hose for easy storage. All you need is to fit the feeder hose to the standard faucets. If you want to attach a hose timer, water filter, or other attachment, then it is recommended to do it before you connect to the hose feeder.
In case you are using a wall-mounted reel model, then attach it to the wall or anywhere you want to fix it. Make sure that you check the weight-bearing or studs locations to attach the real. Remember that the hoses are usually heavy particularly when they are full of water.
If the reel does not comes with an attached hose. Attach the hose as indicated in the manual. You just need to screw the hose end to the reel feeder attachment. If you are having the hand-cranked model, then you can use the crank to bring the hose onto the real. For a self-retracting model, you just need to push a button according to the instruction manual and it will start retracting the hose.
When spring or summer comes, then you need to do a lot of watering in your garden. If you want to enjoy and have fun when the garden, then you require to have the right gardening tools. With a self-retracting hose reel, you can easily coil or uncoil the hose without wasting your time and effort. Get one today