Table of Contents
The solar street lights are the solution to outdoor lights when you wish to keep the place illuminated the entire night. The lights are efficient and reliable to work the whole lights. This is because they are powered by built-in batteries, which are charged by the solar. During the day, the solar will charge the batteries for about 6-8 hours and offer runtimes of 12-18 hours depending on the brand. Moreover, the solar street lights are very safe and suited for all seasons. They are constructed from premium quality materials like die-cast aluminum and glass or plastic and glass for years of use.
Again, the solar street lights are highly waterproof, which means that they function best even during the winter seasons. That said, these products are equipped with long-life LED or lamp beads that not only provide super-brightness but also last for 50,000+ hours. They are simple to install since you can choose to wall-mount or install them on a pole. Also, they come with remote controls for easy operation while, and with the dusk to dawn sensors, they will automatically switch on and off at dusk and dawn.
How to Choose the Best Solar Street Lights?
Finding the best solar street light is what you need for top-notch functions and superior lighting outdoors. Below are some of the features and factors that you should consider before buying a solar street light;
- Battery and Solar – Find a high-quality unit that comes with a large capacity and rechargeable battery. For instance, consider products with 32650 lithium-ion batteries or 2000mAh batteries to serve for 12+ hours. The solar panel should be highly efficient for faster recharge.
- Light Output – More interestingly, find the perfect light that will offer excellent illumination. When you need to serve bigger spaces like stadiums, go for lights with up to 100,000 lumens light outputs. Besides this, smaller areas like the backyard will need lights with about 20,000 lumens.
- Material and Design – For a longer lifespan, you will need to consider the type of material that has been used in the construction. The aluminum and plastic housings are great for all seasons while the glass will deliver a proper lighting effect.
- Waterproof Rating – The safety and durability of the solar street light not only depend on the construction but also waterproof rating. Find a street light that got an IP66+ waterproof rating to serve better even during the winter seasons.
- Motion and Light Sensors – You will also need to find a top-quality solar street light that has both motion and light sensors. The motion sensors are ideal for security purposes. For the light sensors, its dusk to dawn system will allow for automatic ON/OFF functions.
The other vital things you may consider are the price, warranty, remote control, and ease of installation among others.
Installation and Placement
Installing a solar street light has never been a problem and doesn’t need a technician to set it up. It doesn’t need electrical wiring; hence faster. You can choose to install the light on the wall or pole.
- To install on the wall, start by locating the perfect position that will offer a wider illumination area.
- Drill four holes on the wall after marking out using the mounting plate.
- Fix the mounting plate on the drilled holes and screw gently
- Again, position the head of the light before tightening the screws.
- Make sure that the solar is facing towards the sun for faster recharge.
- There isn’t much difference between pole and wall-mounting.
- To mount on a pole, get the pole at the ideal point for quality lighting
- Then using the mounting plate and screws provided, mount the light on the pole.
- Never forget the position the head of the light for wider coverage and ensure the solar faces the sun for faster recharge.
How Do I Maintain My Solar Street Lights?
For a longer lifespan of the solar street lights, you will need to carry out different maintenance tips.
- First, you will need to clean the light globe. Since these globes are under harsh weather conditions, expect them to accumulate dust and debris. Due to this, you need to carry out frequent cleaning of the globes to ensure quality brightness is maintained.
- Secondly, you will also need to carry out a regular solar panel cleaning. This is done by hosing off the solar panel and washing off the loose dirt and dust on the surface. Take the brush and soapy water to gently scrub the surface before rinsing off with clean water. Lastly, use a squeegee to get rid of the water on the panels.
- Check on the battery at regular points. After using the battery for a long, you may consider replacing it when it doesn’t meet the expected run time. You may check for similar batteries or compatible batteries from the stores.
- When the light is installed close to trees or shrubs, make sure to regularly trim the area. The shrubs or tree branches may grow to cover the light; hence limiting the quality of the light.
In case you have a solar street light with separate light and solar systems, you will need to check out the connections and wires. At times, the wires will need to be replaced.
Benefits of Solar Street Lights
There is a wide range of benefits associated with buying a solar street light. Some of these include;
All Night Lighting: When you wish to get all-night illumination of the outdoor space, consider a solar street light. This type of street light has a built-in battery that will offer up to 12-18 hours of runtime. Due to this, the space will always remain lightened up even during electricity outages. This greatly boosts security at home.
Highly Versatile: Solar street lights are not limited to use in certain places. They are highly versatile units that you can apply in most places like stadiums, driveways, hallways, walkways, backyards, and much more. When you need to use the light in bigger spaces, consider units with a higher light output of up to 100,000 lumens. However, for smaller spaces, lights with 10,000 to 20,000 lumens will work best.
Low Maintenance Cost: Maintaining a solar street light is simpler with not much attention needed. They are powered by the sunlight and will automatically switch on at dusk and off at dawn. Due to this, you don’t have to spend much time on the unit. However, for a longer lifespan, frequent cleaning of solar and globes is recommended plus replacing the battery when needed.
Faster Installation: The solar street lights not only allow for simpler and faster installation but also offer two methods of setup. You can choose to install it on the pole or wall-mount the unit. Irrespective of the installation method you settle on, the entire process will only take a few minutes. It doesn’t need electrical wiring; hence very faster.
Waterproof and Durable: Designed from high-quality materials, the solar street lights are great for years of use. They are ruggedly built using different materials like plastic, glass, and aluminum. These are weatherproof materials, which will keep the lights safe under harsh weather conditions. Still, the lights have variable waterproof ratings like IP65 to IP69; hence can serve best even during the winter seasons.
Environmental Friendly and Energy-Economical: Powered by built-in batteries and solar panels, the solar street lights are safe to use. They don’t emit ozone that may cause harm to the surrounding; hence safe for the environment. Besides this, using a solar-powered unit will save you the cost of fuel and lower your electricity bill. It entirely depends on sunlight rays, which will recharge the battery to keep it running the entire night. You will, therefore, not incur any additional cost on electricity.
Enhances Security and Convenient: The street solar lights have built-in motion and light sensors. The motion sensor is vital in boosting the security system at home. When a motion approaches the light, it will detect and send an alert; hence you get to know if someone is getting to the compound. Still, they also feature light sensors, which is known as the dusk to dawn system. It works to allow for automatic switching on and off the light in the evening and morning hours respectively.
Solar street lights are the best option when you need to cut on the electricity bill and enjoy quality lighting outdoors. These lights are designed from high-quality and durable materials, which ensures that they work during all seasons and serve longer. That said, they are easy and faster to install with no wiring required. The lights are versatile to use in most outdoor spaces and waterproof; hence will suit harsh weather conditions. Equipped with remote controls, you can easily carry out different functions to switch to the preferred mode. These are the best types of outdoor lights you may consider.