Table of Contents
- Types of Cooktop
- How to Choose an Electric Cooktop
- Safety Tips When Using Electric Cooktop
- Electric Cooktop FAQ
- Recommended Based On Your Shopping
If you have made up your mind to switch from gas cooktops to electric cooktops, we can assure you that you have made the best choice. This is because electric cooktops are known to be safer to use, energy-efficient, and very easy to clean. These kitchen appliances have been around for so long and they have proven to be the standard in most homes. They use electricity to heat the elements that are placed below the cooking surface. Once these elements have been heated up, they will in turn heat the cooking surface which will then heat your cookware. Electric cooktops prove to be more energy-saving and faster than conventional gas cooktops.
When you are choosing an electric cooktop given that they are flooded in the market, it’s vital to ensure that you make the right choice. It, therefore, means that there are a set of factors that you will need to consider when making the purchase. We shall discuss all these in our subsequent sections but just as a highlight, ensure to insist on brand reputation. The customer feedback should also hint to you at what to expect from your pick. Before we get to the buying guide, read about the different types of cooktops below!
Types of Cooktop
Induction Cooktop- these cooktops make use of electromagnetic energy to cook your food. They feature some elements beneath their ceramic surfaces which create a magnetic field. This in turn reacts to your cookware that has iron, steel, or a magnetic steel bottom. From that reaction, a vibration is created that results in the heat needed to cook. These cooktops prove to be faster than the common electric cooktops. Additionally, they help to minimize the risk of a kitchen fire or burning as they will only produce heat once the compatible cookware touches their surfaces.
Electric Cooktop- these cooktops come with several burners, depending on the model, that is electrically heated. This is the heat that will then heat your cookware for the purpose of cooking your food. The traditional electric cooktops featured coil burners but modern electric cooktops feature a very smooth top design. Most modern models also feature a control knob that makes them very user-friendly. The electric cooktop burners offer precise temperatures every time that you use them. They are therefore the go-to options if temperature control will be a top concern for you.
Gas Cooktop- serious home chefs will always go with gas cooktops. The reason for that is that they give superior temperatures with adjustable controls. This is what is much needed for an efficient and fast cooking experience. These cooktops rely on an open flame as their source of heat which is of course generated by the gas. It, therefore, means that these cooktops require a gas supply for them to work. This explains their ability to deliver heat much faster than their competitors. The only downside is that it becomes a bit hard to achieve precise temperatures needed for cooking different meals.
Karinear 30” Electric Cooktop with 4 Burners
One of the features that characterize this electric cooktop is the fact that it comes with an added metal frame. This greatly helps to prevent the glass from being broken as a result of the excessive collision. Consequently, this will prolong the life of this electric cooktop. The appliance has been designed with 4 burners and knob control. There are no complicated buttons which means that it will be very easy to operate. With the knob control, the appliance will be convenient for the elderly as well as individuals with poor eyesight.
This kitchen appliance comes with 4 powerful burners and each one of them has 9 different power selections. You adjust the power of your burner by simply rotating the knob control. It is for this reason that this electric cooktop has been suited for different cooking needs. These include roasting, deep frying, stir-frying, and much more. Another commendable feature of this electric cooktop is the fact that it has been designed with safety aspects in place. For instance, it features a hot surface indicator. This will always remind you that the surface’s temperature is too hot to touch.
- It features 4 burners and a knob control
- There are 9 power settings to choose from
- It is compatible with all cookware
- Small size (30 inches) that fits in every cabinet
VBGK 36” Electric Ceramic Cooktop with 9 Heating Levels
With this electric cooktop, it will be possible to cook different meals at the same time as it comes with 5 independent heating burners. It has been designed with round corners with no sharp edges which not only makes it safe to use but also stylish. Its surface features black ceramic glass which is wear and scratch-resistant. It similarly resists high temperatures which makes it good for daily usage for families as well as during parties. With a size of 36 inches, this electric cooktop will be ideal for users with limited kitchen space.
This hot plate deploys 9 power levels and a wide temperature range between 176 and 518 degrees Fahrenheit. With that, it becomes possible to meet different cooking needs including simmering, deep frying, boiling, steaming, and many more. You will also appreciate that this is a reliable and safe electric cooktop with several protection features. Among these features are the automatic shut-off and a child safety lock. Another unique feature of this cooktop is the fact that it is compatible with all cookware. Better still, it has been backed with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- It has 5 independent heating areas
- Features a wear-resistant surface
- It has 9 different power levels to choose from
- Compatible with all cookware
Empava 36” Induction Cooktop w/ 5 Burners
One of the features that you will appreciate about this electric cooktop is the fact that it allows you to enjoy minimal cleanup. The reason for that is the fact that it has a quality surface that is resistant to stain or heat discoloration. Given the smooth nature of this vitro ceramic surface, you will be able to wipe it clean. Consequently, the cooktop will offer you so many years of service. It has been designed in the USA and comes with the ETL certification. On top of that, the manufacturer backs it with a warranty for 2 years.
As far as safety is concerned, you will appreciate that this appliance comes with a hot surface indicator. With this, you will be able to easily know when the cooking area is too hot to touch. The good thing with induction cooking is that heat will be directly generated in your cookware. This means that the cooktop will remain cooler to the touch. Another safety measure incorporated in this cooktop is the child safety lock that keeps users safe from unintended activation of the cooktop. With its 9 heating levels, it becomes very easy to choose your preferred level depending on what you are cooking.
- It comes with a hot surface indicator
- ETL-certified and backed with a 2-year warranty
- Features 9 different heat settings
- It has black ceramic glass which gives it a modern appearance
Safety Tips When Using Electric Cooktop
When cooking on electric cooktops, safety must be observed at all times. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind when using an electric cooktop:
- Always use the right cookware with your cooktop
- Turn it off in case of a power outage
- Keep the cooktop burners clean all the time
- Never leave your electric cooktop on unattended
- Allow the cooktop to cool down before touching it upon turning it off
How to Use an Electric Cooktop
Operating an electric cooktop is not complicated at all. This is what makes it a better option compared to gas cooktops. You simply need to turn the dial to your preferred temperature and wait for it to heat up. When it is hot enough, you will be set to start cooking. You must however use the cookware which is compatible with the cooktop. It is that simple. Upon setting your cooktop, it is going to provide a constant and steady heat till you turn the dial off. The good thing about electric cooktops is that you can easily adjust the temperature settings via the control knobs.
The Advantages of Electric Cooktop
• Elegant and contemporary style- electric cooktops have an elegant shape that you will not find in gas cooktops. They have a slimmer appearance which makes them look very modern. Similarly, they pack a minimalist style that comes in handy for apartments with compact sizes.
• Safe to use especially in confined spaces- most people like electric cooktops as they are safe to use in closed rooms. This is because electric cooktops use electricity as opposed to gas.
• Packs many modern features- other than having a modern shape, electric cooktops have modern features that are user-friendly. These include a safety shut-off function, timers, and automatic pan size.
• They are easy to clean- gas cooktops will always leave burnt marks in the installation area. Cleaning, therefore, becomes hard to make the cooktop look as clean as new. Electric cooktops feature a glass material with a smooth top that becomes easy to wipe clean.
• Even heating- electric cooktops heat your cookware evenly which results in evenly cooked meals. With stable heat, the cooking time tends to reduce which also helps in saving energy.
• Long-lasting heat- even after being turned off, electric cooktops tend to retain heat for some time before cooling down. Even if the heat might not be hot enough compared to when the appliance is turned on, you can still use that heat to warm your food.
Modern cooktops come with so many convenient features which have greatly changed the cooking experience for kitchen lovers. The fact that they do not require a gas supply line places them ahead of the gas cooktops. People have also fallen in love with the fact that these cooktops are user-friendly. They pack convenient control functions that allow you to make adjustments as you wish. When it comes to installation, these cooktops are very easy to assemble and will be ready within a short time. If you are planning to discard your old cooktop for a modern electric cooktop, you will surely enjoy the results of your decision. Other than being time and energy-saving, they also help to complement your kitchen décor.
Electric Cooktop FAQ
1. How to install an electric cooktop?
• Before starting the installation process, you must first make sure that you locate the switch breaker in your house’s circuit box and proceed to cut off the electric current. This is very important for your safety.
• Unscrew the junction box which houses the electrical connection beneath the countertop and ensure to note its wire color connection.
• When installing a cooktop for the very first time, you might be required to do some extra electrical work.
• Preparing for your cooktop, you should take the width and length measurements of the counter cut-out space. Make sure to add an inch or half an inch on every side which accounts for the lips of the cooktop to overhang.
• Secure the cooktop in place with a spring clip before you can lower it into the hold.
• Connect the wires of your electrical cooktop to the wires in the junction box.
• Clean off the cooktop surface and turn the switch on ready for cooking.
2. How to clean an electric cooktop?
Cleaning an electric cooktop is very straightforward. It is however worth noting that there are different variations of electric cooktops namely radiant-coil and smooth-top electric cooktops. The good thing about both of them is that cleaning is not complicated. Simply follow the steps below:
• First things first, make sure that your appliance has been turned off and is not hot to touch.
• Using a clean cloth or a paper towel, clean the stray food off the cooktop’s surface.
• Next, using soap and hot water, remove the stuck-on food with a soft scrubbing brush. This is the case when you are using a smooth-top cooktop. You should avoid using abrasives or steel wool as these can damage the cooktop’s surface.
• If you are using the radiant-coil cooktop, you must remove its coils from the appliance. Clean these coils individually with a soft scrubbing brush and a mixture of soap and hot water. This will easily remove the stuck-on food.
• Once done, rinse and dry using a cloth or paper towel and then replace your coils.
3. Gas and Electric cooktop – Which one is better?
Both cooktops have their own pros and cons meaning that it is upon you to decide. Generally, gas cooktops are preferred by home chefs for their massive cooking power and heat. The premium quality gas cooktops feature commercial-grade functions that allow you to prepare restaurant-quality meals from the comfort of your home. The downside of gas cooktops is the fact that it is hard to achieve precise temperature settings needed for different meals. You also need to note that gas cooktops do require a reliable gas connection for them to work appropriately.
Electric cooktops are the go-to option if you will be requiring regular temperature control. Unlike their gas counterparts, they operate on electricity meaning that they don’t need a gas connection. The downside of electric cooktops is that they tend to be less responsive compared to gas cooktops. You will also be needed to wait as the electric cooktop heats which might be frustrating to some users.