Table of Contents
- Types of Metal Shears
- Why should You Buy a Cordless Metal Shear?
- How To Choose A Cordless Metal Shears
- What Are the Best Cordless Metal Shears?
- How Does Cordless Metal Shear Work?
- Tips to Use the Cordless Metal Shears
- How To Care and Maintenance
- Power Vs. Manual Metal Shears
- Advantages of Using Cordless Metal Shears
- Recommended Based On Your Shopping
A metal shear is a kind of tool you will always like to add to the tool collections. The tool has been designed to aid in the accurate and precise cutting of different metals like vinyl siding, stainless steel, and mild steel just to mention a few. The cordless metal shears are battery-powered tools that you will get excellent for most applications anywhere needed. Due to this, they are highly reliable and convenient products. Still, the metal shears have ergonomic lightweight designs; hence comfortable and easy to hold when working. Designed with ergonomic handles, they guarantee a sure grip and are comfy when working.
There are two main types of metal shears. These are cordless and corded shears. Both types of shears are equipped with efficient and powerful motors that bring about great speed and torque. More interestingly, they are safe and reliable tools that will handle every task within the shortest time possible.
Types of Metal Shears
The two main types of metal shears are corded and cordless metal shears.
Corded Metal Shears
This is a type of metal shear equipped with a power cord. Due to this, the metal shear will need a power source to operate. This type of metal shear isn’t very reliable since you cannot use it anywhere with no power source. Despite this, they will always handle the task until the end since they never run out of power.
Cordless Metal Shears
This is the exact opposite of the corded shears. This is a type of shear powered by a battery. Some will come with batteries whereas other tools need you to buy the battery and charger separately. They are highly reliable tools you can carry for use anywhere since they are rechargeable. Despite their reliability, they may run out of power when working; hence always carry an additional battery pack.
Why should You Buy a Cordless Metal Shear?
The cordless metal shears are great investments when you need to cut metals at low costs. Here are some of the reasons why you will need to invest in metal shears.
- First, a cordless shear is great for use anywhere needed. Since they are battery-powered, they are portable, allowing you to work anywhere.
- Secondly, they are highly versatile tools that will cut different metals. They are excellent for cutting stainless steel, mild steel, shingles, chicken wire, and vinyl sidings among others. Moreover, they can cut at different gauges like 14-gauge to 20-gauge depending on the tool.
- Again, the tools are easy and comfortable to use thanks to the ergonomic and lightweight designs. They have anti-slip thick molded handles for sure grip and comfort, which brings about better maneuverability.
How To Choose A Cordless Metal Shears
When looking forward to buying a cordless metal shear, here are some of the main features and factors to consider;
Gauge Rating: First and foremost, you should consider the gauge rating of the tool to buy. The tools have different gauge ratings from 14-gauge to 20-gauge. When choosing the type to pick, consider the thickness of the metals to cut. For cutting thicker metals, get a unit with a lower gauge. On the other hand, tools with higher gauges are great for thinner metals.
Battery Capacity: The cordless metal shears have different battery packs, which is why you need to consider the size of the battery before making the purchase. First, you should know that not all tools come with batteries. So, on tools equipped with batteries, ensure the unit runs on a large capacity battery like 5.0Ah to guarantee a longer operation time. Still, you may go for tools that come with two 2.0Ah batteries. The batteries should be rechargeable for great convenience.
Cutting Speed (SPM): The cutting speeds of the metal shears are measured in strokes per minute (SPM). You should, therefore, consider getting the ultimate metal shear that will generate a higher speed. The speed of the tool is determined by the motor, which means that you should start by looking out at the motor. Find a product with BL brushless motor or 4-pole motor to bring about great speed. Such a tool will deliver from 0-3,000 SPM; you can adjust to the preferred level.
Ergonomic Design: Make sure that the metal shear you wish to buy has a simple ergonomic design. The ergonomically designed tools are simple and easy to use; hence will handle your tasks accordingly. For such a tool, get a unit that has a thick molded handle and should be in line with the motor for excellent maneuverability. Again, the head should rotate to 360 degrees for smooth and precise cutting.
Blade: The type of blades equipped in the tool will determine the cutting precision and performance. Because of this, consider getting a unit that has been fitted with superior precision blades you can use for cutting all kinds of metals. More interestingly, the tool should come with replaceable blades that will suit all types of tasks. The blades should rotate to 360 degrees and are sharp enough for seamless cutting.
Weight: When you need a perfect tool you can comfortably hold and use for longer, then get a lightweight metal shear. The lightweight tools are excellent options for all users and will allow you to work for long without fatigue. Still, the handle should have a sure grip for great comfort when working. Moreover, lightweight tools are portable for use anywhere needed.
Safety: When cutting using a metal shear, make sure that it guarantees your safety. Get a tool that has protected blades that will not cause injury during use, storage, and portability. That said, it needs to allow for an easy and faster replacement of the blades. Additionally, the grip should be great for comfort on the hands.
Warranty: How long is the warranty period of the tool you need to buy? The warranty will ensure the safety of the tool in case of damage on any part. Some of these tools have a 3-year warranty whereas others provide up to a 5-year warranty. Enquire with the manufacturer about the warranty before making the purchase.
What Are the Best Cordless Metal Shears?
For anyone looking for the best cordless metal shear, we have all you need in the below reviews. Our products were carefully selected based on their features and performance. They have superior blades and powerful engines that will deliver amazing torque and speed. Besides this, the tools are lightweight and ergonomic; hence comfortable to use. That said, the tools are excellent for cutting different metals; hence the best cordless metal shears to consider.
RYOBI 18V Offset 18 Gauge Metal Shear
RYOBI cordless metal shear is a fine selection when looking forward to investing in a metal shear. This powerful handy tool allows for an elementary cutting of different items including sheet metal, chicken wire, shingles, and vinyl siding among others. Besides this, the shear has a simple ergonomic design coupled with lightweight, allowing you to comfortably hold it when cutting. Additionally, it has been equipped with a rotating head, which leads to versatile cutting. The unit runs on a powerful 18V motor, which brings about amazing torque and performance. The variable trigger speed ensures a perfect maximum control; hence you can adjust to the preferred speed.
Moreover, RYOBI shear has an offset shear design, which makes it ideal for application on different materials. The tool also provides you with a wide range of replaceable blades that allow you to enjoy longer use. The tool features a gripzone over-mold on the handle, which provide maximum grip plus comfort. Due to this, it never causes strain on the hands.
- Rotating head design for versatile cutting
- Gripzone over-mold handle for optimum grip
- Wide range of applications
- Ergonomic offset shear design
- Efficient replaceable blades
Milwaukee 18 Gauge Cordless Double Cut Shear
Here is a perfect cordless shear you will get suitable for your daily cores. The unit has a simple ergonomic design, which allows for a comfortable hold when cutting. Besides this, it has a perfect rubber over-mold on the handle, which brings about amazing comfort and grip. That said, Milwaukee metal shear is run by a powerful motor that brings about amazing speed and torque. Due to this, it will handle all your tasks within the shortest time possible. Moreover, the tool has an 18-gauge double-cut head that will handle different cutting tasks. For instance, you can use it for cutting vinyl sidings, metal sheets, and wires among others.
Milwaukee is crafted from the highest quality of metal material and powder-coated keeping it free from rust and corrosion. Also, the product functions at variable speeds, allowing you to adjust to the preferred level. It has been fitted with superior blades that cut through seamlessly and are interchangeable to handle different operations.
- Ergonomic lightweight design
- Non-slip rubber over-mold for grip and comfort
- Powerful and efficient motor for great torque
- 18-gauge double-cut shear
- Rugged durable material built
Makita 18V Lithium-Ion Brushless 14 Gauge Cordless Metal Shear
When shopping for metal shears, consider the type of motor before making the order. Here is a top-quality shear from MAKITA fitted with a powerful and efficient BL brushless motor that will deliver amazing torque. The motor operates at variable speeds you can adjust from 0-3,000 SPM; hence will handle the tasks within the shortest time possible. More interestingly, the unit is very reliable as it can cut 14-gauge and 16-gauge for mild steel and stainless steel respectively. Due to this, you will get an awesome selection that suits you best.
Equipped with an ergonomic D-handle design, Makita metal shear is comfortable and easy to hold when working. The handle is in-line with the motor; hence has been optimized to deliver increased comfort and maneuverability. Still, it features high-performance double-cut blade designs that allow for minimal burrs and material distortion when cutting.
- Efficient and powerful BL brushless motor
- 0 to 3,000 adjustable operating speeds
- 360-degree shear head rotation
- High-performance double-cut blade design
- 14-gauge and 16-gauge mild steel and stainless steel cutting
DEWALT 20V MAX 18 Gauge Metal Shear with Swivel Head
For smooth and efficient cutting of metals, DEWALT shear is the tool to go for. This amazing tool has a 360-degree swivel rotating head that will bring about faster and easy cutting. Besides this, the head is capable of accessing even tight quarters. More interestingly, the unit is run by a powerful motor that brings about amazing torque to handle different cutting needs. Fitted with superior blades, the shear can handle a wide range of cutting tasks. It can cut to 18-gauge; hence a nice option you never want to miss.
Dewalt can cut 7/32-inches strips and ensures accurate and consistent cuts. Due to the lightweight ergonomic design, you can comfortably hold the tool when cutting. Still, the product has a thick molded handle for great grip and comfort.
- Lightweight ergonomic portable design
- 360-degree rotating head design
- Thick molded sure-grip handle
- Scope of applications
- 3-year limited warranty
Makita 18V LXT Lithium-Ion 5,0Ah Battery 18 Gauge Shear
For the cordless metal shears, always consider the battery pack. This high-quality product from Makita is a nice piece since it comes with 5.0Ah lithium-ion battery. The rechargeable battery offers amazing performance and a longer operation time. To add more, it has superior blades that can cut up to 20-gauge stainless steel and 18-gauge mild steel; hence will handle most applications. To add more, the tool has a lightweight design, which means that you can comfortably carry it for application anywhere needed.
Makita 18V shear is run by a powerful and efficient motor, which brings about higher torque and efficiency. Because of this, you can comfortably cut through metals with higher precision and accuracy. The 4-pole motor brings about up to 3,000 strokes per minute for amazing speed. The tool comes with a reversible belt clip you can attach to either side of the tool. The compact and ergonomic design implies that you can comfortably hold for seamless cuts.
- Built-in 4-pole powerful motor
- Compact and lightweight design
- 18-gauge mild steel and 20-gauge stainless steel cutting
- Rechargeable 5.0Ah lithium-ion battery
- A reversible belt clip attachment
How Does Cordless Metal Shear Work?
A cordless metal shear is a tool powered by a battery. It also has a built-in motor and blades at the rotating head.
When powered by the battery, the motor will start and generates torque, which will in turn power the head. The head equipped with blades begins to rotate at the speed of the engine. The speed is adjustable from 0-3,000 SPM in most tools. As the blades turn, they will deliver power that can cut through different metal surfaces. Again, depending on the gauge, the blades will cut different metals.
Tips to Use the Cordless Metal Shears
Here are the best tips that you need to follow when operating a metal shear.
- First, you need to get a very clear marking of the cut lines. You can always use pencil marks on the metal to properly mark the cut lines after measurements. Alternatively, you may use a light coat of paint when the pencil isn’t visible. This will ensure very accurate and precise cuts.
- Again, you should never hold the handles so tightly together. This is because it may make the cutting go up to the tips of the blade.
- Focus on the ½-inches right in front of the blade, which is recommended for a high level of accuracy.
- Frequently sharpen the blades of the shear to allow for easy and smooth cutting. Dull blades may lead to slow operation.
- When cutting, make sure to hold the tool at the right angle. You should hold it at a 90-degrees right above the metal and not to the left or right sides.
How To Care and Maintenance
When you need a longer lifespan for your metal shear, below are some of the care and maintenance tips for your tool.
- You should always lubricate the tool. Check out all the moving parts of the tool and fully lubricate them for proper functionality. By keeping the parts well-lubed, you will be preventing them from heating, chaffing, and corroding among others.
- Secondly, you need to frequently sharpen the blades and bits of the tool. When working with dull blades, it will cause extra stress to the motor, which may lead to damaging different parts of the tool.
- You also need to cool down heated tools. When you overwork the engine, it will eventually overheat, which isn’t safe for better performance. You, therefore, need to leave the engine to cool down for something before resuming work.
- Still, you need to clean the tool regularly. Despite being a powerful tool, you can always clean by wiping dirt and even other particles on the body. Use compressed air to blow away the particles or a cleaning cloth. Again, when not going to use the tool for some time, make it clean before storage.
Power Vs. Manual Metal Shears
The metal shears are either powered or manual tools. We wish to look for the different comparisons of these two types of tools to aid in making a better decision on what tool to consider.
To begin with, the power metal shears run on powerful motors for great torque. This is why they can seamlessly cut through different metals with higher precision and accuracy. However, the manual tool demands you to manually cut the tool, which requires more energy; hence time-wasting.
Again, the power tools are highly versatile and efficient, which means that you can use them for cutting a wide range of tools. They support different cutting gauges; hence suited for the thicker and thinner metals. For the manual shears, they may only cut through thinner metals.
They are both lightweight and reliable tools you can use whenever needed and ergonomically designed to handle your tasks.
Advantages of Using Cordless Metal Shears
- Great for Milder Metals
The cordless metal tools are excellent options that you will find suitable for use on milder metals. This is because the metal shear will hinder the metal from getting exhausted or over-handled. Due to this, it allows for precise and smooth cutting.
- Prevents Material Loss and Limits Squander
Again, the metal shears are highly precise, which means that you can cut with a high level of exactness and accuracy. This aids in protecting the nature of the material. Besides this, it reduces the loss of material since it delivers very accurate performance.
- High Level of Efficiency
More interestingly, the cordless metal shears are highly efficient and reliable. Since the tool is powered, you will work with very less effort to get the work done. This implies that you get to tackle the work within the shortest time possible.
- For Straight Cuts
Also, you will realize that when working with a metal shear, you are guaranteed very straight cuts. This isn’t the case with manual cutting. You can slice the metal into more pieces at the right angles.
Other advantages of using a cordless metal shear include proper cutting pace, suitable for use anywhere, and cost-effective.
Working on different metals is now a breeze when you choose to go with a cordless metal shear. This type of shear is highly efficient and powerful. Besides this, they are suited for cutting different metals like stainless steel, aluminum, and galvanized metals among others. The cordless metal shears are reliable and ergonomically designed to suit most tasks; hence the best options to try out.